About EuropatatMission and objectives
Europatat Vision & Mission
The growing importance – and complexity – of European policies and legislation increasingly affects the potato supply chain. Europatat has been established in 1952 and was one of the first European organisations in the agriculture wholesale trade. Initially set up by national organisations to protect the interests of the wholesale potato merchants, its membership is now open to individual companies active in the potato trade.
“Bring potatoes to the table!”
Potatoes are a cornerstone in many diets around the world, while at the same time being a highly nutritious food. Furthermore, potatoes have a low environmental impact compared to other food products, and the sector is continuously investing in innovative solutions to further respond to environmental challenges and consumers demand.
Our mission is to:
- Represent and promote the interest of the potato trade sector on a European and International level;
- Protect and improve the professional interests and the commercial function of the sector in Europe and beyond;
- Facilitate the collection of data and information
- Educate consumers and decision-makers alike about the benefits of potatoes
- Connect sector representatives and stakeholders through networking opportunities
The economic evolution of Europe requires an ongoing adaptation of trading behaviour and in particular of the Rules and Practices of the profession. As early as in 1956 Europatat therefore established the first Rules and Usages for the Inter European Trade in Potatoes codifying professional usages and instituting a simple and effective procedure for valuation and arbitration, henceforth known under the name RUCIP. Since that time RUCIP has been used for nearly all European transactions.