17 agri-food stakeholders (including Europatat) have co-signed a joint open letter stressing the potential impact of the current proposal on Sustainable Use of Plant Protection Products Regulation (“SUR”) on the EU agricultural value chain, considering the current socio-economic situation in Europe.
The co-signing organisations call on the EU institutions to take into consideration the following points:
- Need for a comprehensive impact assessment
- Adequate targets that are based on science and feasible for producers
- Need to provide alternatives before withdrawing chemical solutions
- Proper definition and reconsideration of the ban on the use of any PPPs in sensitive areas
- Reduce the potential burden for farmers to comply with the SUR provisions to the minimum
For more details, read the letter here.